Thursday, March 16, 2017

More Research

So as my Storyboard process starts, I made an outline of what I'm going to do for the scenes. I divided it into 3 Acts to established an introduction, a climax, and a conclusion to all the events.


Close-up to demonstrate emotion
I also occupied myself by doing a little more of research on the techniques most commonly used in my genre. Thanks to Mrs. Stoklosa, I came across this website which focuses on discussing Alfre Hitchcock's film techniques. This renowned director focuses on "Frame for Emotion". Jeffrey Michael Bays, author of the article, writes that "emotion comes directly from the actor's eyes'', which is the reason why I'm focusing so much on close-ups and extreme close-ups on the actor's faces. He also expresses that ''a sudden cut from wide to close-up will give the audience a sudden surprise''. I added this technique to my storyboard in one of the scenes when the killer starts hearing footsteps (you'll see it later when I post it). 

Another point that Bays establishes is that the Point of View editing is key to ''build tension'' and prevent the audience of getting bored. This is actually an important technique to my production since the public will be experiencing everything from the killer's POV. 
It's also important to keep the story as simple as possible since suspense will not be acquired if the production requires a lot of memorization. That's why my outline is basically the introduction to the main character, the creation of a problem/suspense, the resolution by killing the house owners.

Step 12 is the essence of my film. "Surprise and Twist''. Bays writes ''lead them [the audience] in one direction and then pull the rug out from under them in a surprise twist''. So once again, if performed well, the audience will think at the beginning that my killer is actually the homeowner when at the end it will be revealed that he is not.

Finally, I started my storyboard today and I finished all the scenes from Act I; hopefully, I will finish Act II and Act III this weekend. 

Alfred Hitchcock (1899 - 1980)

Sources:
"Camera shot work." Media A2. N.p., 30 Dec. 2015. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.
"Alfred hitchcock presents,Alfred Hitchcock presents quotes." Funny gifs. N.p., 12 Apr. 2014. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.
Bays, Jeff. "Film Techniques of Alfred Hitchcock - suspense, camera angles, style, editing, basics." Film Techniques of Alfred Hitchcock - suspense, camera angles, style, editing, basics. N.p., n.d. Web. 16 Mar. 2017.



No comments:

Post a Comment