Wednesday, March 1, 2017

"If you talk to God, you are praying; If God talks to you, you have Schizophrenia"

I know that I stated in my last post that I was going to write in the next couple of days but it have been some crazy weeks and I haven't had time to do my proper research. However, I did watch a couple of movies that relate to what I want to do.

Since last year, I've wanted to make a thriller/horror film; the problem was that back then I didn't have a clear idea of something that I'd wanted to do. But this year it's different; I'm decided to do a thriller short film which is going to be related to mental illnesses, specifically Schizophrenia.

I really don't know why I decided to do my soon-to-be short film about this topic; maybe it's because I watched Shutter Island (2010) over the summer, or I just thought that I'd be cool to make a something about a topic that represents a taboo in the media. 
 
Now, let's start with my research. Basically, this condition affects a person's ability to feel, think, and behave clearly. "The exact cause of schizophrenia isn't known, but a combination of genetics, environment and altered brain chemistry" may contribute to its development

 



"Schizophrenia is characterized by thoughts or experiences that seem out of touch with reality, disorganized speech or behavior, and decreased participation in daily activities. A difficulty with memory may also be present."
Ages affected by Schizophrenia

What I'm interested in for my film, are the positive symptoms of this disease, which include:
  • Hallucinations: seeing, feeling, tasting, hearing or smelling something that doesn’t really exist. The most common experience is hearing imaginary voices that give commands or comments to the individual.
    • Delusions: false ideas--individuals may believe that someone is spying on him or her, or that they are someone famous (or a religious figure).


    • Thought disorders (unusual or dysfunctional ways of thinking)



    • Movement disorders (agitated body movements)

      The negative and cognitive symptoms are more severe and are associated with disruptions to normal emotions and behaviors, and this is not the round that I'm striving for my character.


      Basically, the main 2 positive symptoms, hallucinations and delusions, are linked to psychosis. Psychosis is often described as a “loss of reality” or a “break from reality” because it makes the person experience or believe things that aren’t real. It can change the way someone thinks, acts, feels or senses things.
       
      The big question about this condition is:

      Can a schizophrenic person lead a regular life?
       
      "In one study published in 2005 psychologist Martin Harrow of the University of Illinois College of Medicine and his colleagues followed patients over 15 years and found that about 40 percent experienced at least periods of considerable recovery, as measured by the absence of significant symptoms as well as the capacity to work, engage in social activities and live outside a hospital for a year or more. Although mild symptoms such as social withdrawal or confused thinking may persist, these individuals can hold down jobs and function independently without being institutionalized."
       
       So, now that I have a clear idea of what this condition entails, I can start developing my main character. I'll be back with some case studies in the next couple of days!
       
      Resources:
       Lilienfeld, Scott O., and Hal Arkowitz. "Living with Schizophrenia." Scientific American. N.p., 06 Feb. 2010. Web. 01 Mar. 2017.
      "Schizophrenia." Mental Health America. N.p., 08 Dec. 2016. Web. 01 Mar. 2017.
      National Institutes of Health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, n.d. Web. 01 Mar. 2017.





       

      No comments:

      Post a Comment