Sunday, April 9, 2017

Where, when AND Why

I'm excited to announce you that I finished my postcard this weekend. I understand that this is a minor component but the fact that I have a part of my final finished releases a small portion of stress from my being; plus, I'm satisfied with the final result. I won't be showing any pictures of how it looks until next week but I wanted to write a little bit about the decisions that I took on the development of it and, furthermore, the why of these decisions. 

Let's start with the where:

I started the back of my postcard by doing research on short film festivals. I didn't want to choose a fancy and unrealistic festival (Cannes, for instance) but instead something more... attainable? But I didn't want a ghost festival either. I chose Sundance Film Festival because I believe it has the characteristics that I previously stated. Plus, its color (yellow) matches with the colors from my poster.

The when:

Submissions to this festival start in May and the dates for the 2017 Festival have not yet been released, so this created kind of a problem for me. But fear not! I found this calendar from the 2016 Festival:


Following the dates from last year's, I decided that my short film would be shown on January 20th, 2018 at 6:30 pm, just like the short program at the Redstone Cinema 1.

Now, let's go to other decisions taken:

  • My catchphrase is going to be:


Did you look your door?

Because I want something short, concise, and related to both the poster and the plot. By being directed to the viewer, it creates a relationship with him/her and it's more impactful as well.

  • Social Media
I created accounts on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat because of my target audience (which I'll talk more in website post), as well as my website, and placed the usernames/URL on the back of my postcard. This way, people who receive it can go into their smartphones and read more information about my film.

To add the accounts in a colorful and dynamic way, I included the apps logos. I was worried about doing this because I didn't know if I'd violate some copyright or something. Nevertheless, when I was googling the pictures, I discovered that Google has an option to filter the usage rights.


Even though it wasn't easy nor fast, I was able to find PNG pics for my 3 Social Media (thank you Google). 

With no further explanations, I'm really thrilled of showing you this component and I hope you like it as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment