Thursday, April 6, 2017

Postcard

As I previously stated in my vlog, I was a little confused about the postcard layout. For instance, I didn't now if it had to be like a real postcard with the lines for people to write on them or just like a flyer in a postcard size. But I asked my teacher and she clarified this doubts for me. So I decided to start my research on horror/thriller posters as well as on Film Festivals postcards.

The majority of movies in these genres depicts their main characters in their movie posters. 
Split (2016)
Split (2016)

These two posters from Split (2016) are great. The one to the right shows Kevin as having 4 different shadows, which would be his different personalities. The second one shows a clearer representation of what's going on in Kevin's mind, as each personality tries to ''come into the light'' and be responsible for Kevin's actions/thoughts. The font used in both of them also conveys the meaning of the title as it appears to be cut or ''split''.


Don't Breathe (2016)
While Split shows the attacker, Don't Breathe (2016) focuses more on the victim. This poster shows the audience the lead actress and two man's hands that try to prevent her from breathing.


The Strangers (2008)
The movie poster from The Strangers (2008) shows a mixture of the last two. It depicts the attackers facing the camera and the victims showing their back, this is part of the last scene of the movie. The fact that they show their attackers completely exposed to the camera doest not create an issue for the movie's plot since they wear masks in both the poster and throughout the whole movie.
Nevertheless, due to how my film is going to develop (the audience believing the killer is the house's owner) I can't show any characteristic of my killer nor my victims. Moreover, since he doesn't wear any mask during his act, then the last poster is not an option either.

Therefore, I will be focusing more on symbology/actions/objects than in my actors.

Even though the movie poster from A Cure for Wellness (2017) also depicts a movie character (I haven't see the film so I have no idea who she is), it also shows a little bottle of an elixir (??) which would be symbolizing the cure. But the one from Lights out (2016) only shows a light switch which symbolizes the most important element of the movie, keep the lights on and the characters will survive.
A Cure for Wellness (2017)
Lights out (2016)

So thinking about my own film, I thought about having a knife and a closet but since I'm not really showing the closet in my film, but instead implying that the killer keeps their victims there by the news report audio, I didn't want to show it on my movie poster. That's when I came up with the title Break in and I visualized a house's door opened at the end of the picture and a knife on a chair/table. Something like this:


I will comment more about my process taking and editing this picture in my next post since this one came out to be a little long.

Sources:
"Split Movie Poster (#3 of 5)." IMP Awards - All the Latest Movie Posters. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.
"Split Movie Poster (#4 of 5)." IMP Awards - All the Latest Movie Posters. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.
"DON'T BREATHE Poster." Movieposter.com. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.
"The Strangers Movie Poster (#4 of 10)." IMP Awards - All the Latest Movie Posters. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.
"A Cure for Wellness Movie Poster (#1 of 5)." IMP Awards - All the Latest Movie Posters. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.
"Lights Out." PicPhotos. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2017.




No comments:

Post a Comment