Saturday, March 12, 2016

TEDTalks

Yesterday my peers met in groups to share their ideas, show their blogs and to get feedback about what they're planning to do in this project. Nevertheless, this weekend I'm delegating in Florida University Model United Nations so I couldn't go to school and be part of this activity, which I profoundly regret because it could've helped with my decision process. I guess I'll have to wait to others meetings in the following weeks.

However, as soon as I got home from the model, I started researching. The first thing I found is this amazing picture that is going to become a great resource when I come up with my idea for the production.




Something that really caught my attention in the picture, it's the step 7, which is about not giving the audience all the story, but keep its mystery. This is an idea said by Edward Stanton, Pixar's writer, and it reminded me when Mrs. Stoklosa showed us a TEDTalk of him [1], which encouraged me to look for more TEDTalks about filming.

First, I watched this video titled 'The Mystery Box' by J.J. Abrams [2], which is related to the thought stated by Mr. Stanton, since Mr. Abrams expresses that the key for a good show is to use a mystery box that will attract the viewer's attention, strategy that can also be applied to movies.

After going through that video, I also watched 'The Art of Creating Awe' by Rob Legato [3]. Mr. Legato mentions particularly movies in which he has worked as a Visual Effects Supervisor, such as Apollo 13 and Hugo. What I found interesting about this video, is that he creates incredible scenes just by playing with audience's perspective and the resources that he had at the palm of his hand.

These videos are a teaching that is feasible for any genre that I choose to produce. Either romance or drama, the presence of mystery is going to be an important factor in the development of both, the 2-minute Film Opening and the story of the whole movie. The last video mentioned is going to remind me that the camera work is very important to emit a message. I'm sure that in the process of the making of the sequence, I'm going to encounter some obstacles, but I must remember that there's always another way to see things and to films scenes, as Mr. Legato gave the example of Hugo and the train scene.

Update:

Today I thought about other ideas for a story, but I still need to do my research about that specific genre. I will post it when I finish it.

I'm strongly frustrated because I see that the majority of my peers have clear ideas or, at least, their shaping them, and then there's me with so many ideas and none at the same time. I just hope that I can come up with one story really good by the end of this weekend.

Chao, Chao!

For further information about what has been presented here, visit:

[1]"The Clues to a Great Story." Andrew Stanton:. N.p., Feb. 2012. Web. 12 Mar. 2016. <https://www.ted.com/talks/andrew_stanton_the_clues_to_a_great_story>.
[2]"The Mystery Box." TedTALK. J.J. Abrams:, Mar. 2007. Web. 12 Mar. 2016. <https://www.ted.com/talks/j_j_abrams_mystery_box>.
[3] "Robert Legato: El Arte De Crear Asombro." Robert Legato: El Arte De Crear Asombro. N.p., June 2012. Web. 12 Mar. 2016. <https://www.ted.com/talks/rob_legato_the_art_of_creating_awe?language=es>.

Image:
  • "SEVEN STEPS TO THE PERFECT STORY." Content Marketing Association RSS. N.p., 8 Nov. 2012. Web. 12 Mar. 2016. <http://www.the-cma.com/news/seven-steps-to-the-perfect-story>.




No comments:

Post a Comment