Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Scenes and Genres


I went over some blogs from last year to explore through their process and to use them as examples of what I should and should not do. On their blogs, I looked the 'Resources' section and I found some interesting links.

The first one Anatomy of a Scene is a fascinating website that provides numerous videos of director commentaries of some scene of a well-known film they've done. One of my favorites is the video from The Revenant, by Alejandro Gonzalez IƱarritu because most of the scene is a long take that was really hard to be made due to the environmental conditions. This represents that sometimes the whole team is willing to do some sacrifices in order to produce a remarkable movie; something that I need to keep in mind while I film my own production. He also states that for the filming they had to change to change the rivers in where they filmed since the stream of the first river  was too cold and dangerous. This reminds me that for my film, whatever the genre will be, it will not always be necessary to shot in the exact place if the camera work transmits the same perspective that the other place would do.

I also found this website  that provides a super useful chart with the Genre and Sub-Genre of Films. It helped me establish specifics types of tones that I'd like to give to my film through the 2 minutes opening. The ones that caught my attention are Love-Drama, Disease-Drama, Romance (which I didn't know is a Hybrid Sub-Genre) and Social Problem-Drama. Nevertheless, I would need to investigate a little bit more about each of these genres in order to choose one for my production.

Until the next one,

Chao, Chao!

For further reading into my research, check out my resources:

  • Murphy, Mekado. "Anatomy of a Scene | ‘The Revenant’." The New York Times. The New York Times, 2016. Web. 10 Mar. 2016.
  • "The Complete List of Film Sub-Genres." The Complete List of Film Sub-Genres. N.p., 26 Mar. 2012. Web. 9 Mar. 2016. <http://visual.ly/complete-list-film-sub-genres>..
  • "Anatomy of a Scene." Anatomy of a Scene. N.p., n.d. Web. 9 Mar. 2016. <http://www.nytimes.com/video/anatomy-of-a-scene>.

No comments:

Post a Comment