Thursday, March 10, 2016

Romance

I started pitching some of my favorite ideas for a story according to the genres that I'm interested in. You can access to them through this link:


After doing this, I started researching about Romance and the definition that I found is: 'a genre wherein the plot revolves around the love between two protagonists.' [1]








I also gathered some main characteristics of it. The most predominant were that the two main characters meet and fell for each other but an event happens that provokes their separation until destiny gather them again.






Being honest, I dislike these types of stories and this is the main reason why I'm hesitant about doing a Romance film. I consider that the genre has been overrated and no one takes it seriously anymore. Nowadays, almost all stories have the same plot but adding or subtracting different details.

Therefore, I was so excited when I found this opinion article that shares my argument. Basically, the article extols the classic romances for their 'intricate character developments and the carefully crafted plots'[2]. One of the examples that the article provides as a classic romantic film is Casablanca (1942), so I took the time to look into some excerpts from the movie.


The first romantic comedy was created by Thomas Edison in 1896 and only lasted 18 seconds. It's called The May Irwin Kiss.




What I found interesting in these two scenes is that the predominant sound is diegetic, which makes them more realistic. Also, the symbolism of the song played is reflected in the actors' expressions, emphasizing that the music reminds them of a past event, which is also established at the end of the second video.






I think that these factors are the ones that make the movie so especial and different from modern romantic productions that are full of sound and digital effects that take their value and authenticity. I need to admit that even though that I've heard excellent critiques of Casablanca, I've never felt curiosity for it, until now that I went over those two videos. I'm considering watching the whole movie this weekend if I have time; I'll post here if I see it.


In the process of this research, I also discover the first Romantic scene ever made. It was created by Thomas Edison in 1896. Titled The May Irwin Kiss, it lasts 18 seconds [3].



Impressive how an 18-second film lacking sound and filmed in Black and White can be more expressive that some modern films that are packed with dialogue.

Conclusion

After gather all this information, I'm still not convinced with the Romantic genre because of its overuse in the current cinematographic industry. Although, I believe that if I come up with an original and appealing story, I would focus my film on it.

What I'm clear now, it's that sometimes, there's no requirement of abundant dialogue or editing effects, if the  other factors of the production, as sound and mise-en-scene, do a nice job and build a strong and authentic story.

I will continue my research about the other genres.

Chao, Chao!

For further exploration of what have exposed in this post, check out:
  • [1] "Romance." Genre:. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 Mar. 2016  <http://thescriptlab.com/screenplay/genre/romance>.
  • [2] "Romance Genre Films Decline in Integrity." Technique. N.p., 24 June 2011. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <http://nique.net/opinions/2011/06/24/romance-genre-films-decline-in-integrity/>
  • [3]"History of Romance Films." History of Romance Films. N.p., 21 Nov. 2013. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <http://es.slideshare.net/StephWebb/history-of-romance-films>.
Images:
  • Sarantinos, J. Gideon. "Key Elements Of A Romantic Comedy." Gideons Screenwriting Tips So Now You're a Screenwriter. N.p., 09 July 2010. Web. 10 Mar. 2016 <https://gideonsway.wordpress.com/2010/07/09/key-elements-of-the-romantic-comedy/>
  • "History of Romance Films." History of Romance Films. N.p., 21 Nov. 2013. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <http://es.slideshare.net/StephWebb/history-of-romance-films>.
Videos:

  • "Casablanca Best Scene-Play It Sam! For Old Time's Sake..." YouTube. YouTube, 3 June 2011. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_a57ZNlU6o>.
  • "Casablanca (one of the Best Scenes)." YouTube. YouTube, 13 July 2011. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7IWLZcVU64&ebc=ANyPxKo_uDtXERjUX-qBw98dg6UpXxJdvhjrcyoo3VmJNbTIWKgFjjYDXXDdIQKVpJgvn2vitkLh3pOy5tFVgeuG8fFSd8gx4A>.
  • "The May-Irwin Kiss (Edison, 1896)." YouTube. YouTube, 30 Aug. 2007. Web. 10 Mar. 2016. <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zURTEs8C1lo>.

No comments:

Post a Comment