Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Where have all the Hearts gone?

Remember that in my last post I had 2 choices for my title? 
  1. A true love story
  2. Accidentally in love
  3. Accidental love (I also had this one but as it's kind of similar to the second one, I didn't point it out).
But I also wrote that I rather have a title that doesn't include the word "love". So I continued looking, asking, researching, praying, begging.

Yesterday, I decided that I wanted something that involves sociology terms since that's Marcella's major and it can work as something symbolic in her career. So I came up with this quote and I thought about "simple, complex", then a friend suggested "simply complex". 

The reason for this is that love is described as something simple in sociology. But, at the same time, it can be described as something complex because it "can represent so many different meanings and understandings: sexual love, intimate love, companionate love, romantic love, parental love, friendship love, inter-species love, love for places, belongings, views." 
It could also work because Marcella sees herself as someone simple, different from other girls that feel the necessity of receiving flowers and chocolates every month; she just dislike that. But because of this, everyone else see her as someone complex and difficult to understand. 

However, I felt that something was missing from that option. So I started to add more expressions, and the results were something like "Extraordinarily Simple, Incredibly Complex" and "Exceptionally Simple, Extraordinarily Complex". And for some unknown reason, I liked them. I like encrypted and long titles. But when I was trying to share these titles with my friends, I could not finish pronouncing them before my friends begin to laugh. And seriously, it was a BIG problem. I tried my best but my non-cute Venezuelan accent didn't help me. So I thought "If I can't pronounce my own title, then how am I going to be able to make it appealing to my audience?"

Anyways, in lunch, before my AICE Media Class, I annotated "Where Have All the Hearts Gone?" (I seriously don't remember where or how I found it, I just know that I had it in my notes). So I shared it with my mom and with one of my closest friends and they liked it. Then a friend told me that "hearts" is a weak word, so I started thinking about the meaning of that title, and I'm sorry, but I need to disagree with her. 

I consider that words can have different meanings to different persons, and it's each individual who decides how much power a word or a sentence can have. For example, when I hear the word Freedom I think about my country, Venezuela, and all the Human Rights violations that the government is committing against it own people. But when an American think about Freedom, he thinks about the natural freedom that his government provides for them, he will not question if he has freedom, he just knows he has.

So, maybe hearts is a weak word for her but for me, it represents and conveys a strong symbolism in my movie. I'll try to explain my point so you can understand me.

People tend to draw doodles in class when they're bored, right? Girls usually draw hearts, stars, and cartoons. Nevertheless, since Marcella is not that kind of romantic girl, she doesn't draw hearts. But, at the climax of the movie. when she meets this guy and they connect and share so many things and... love happens, she will start drawing hearts and more romantic things in her notebooks.

Doodles that Marcella would
usually do.
Doodles that Marcella would do
when she falls in love.
   














Not this cheesy and girly, but it's jut to show you an example.


So she falls in love with him, let's call him Daniel, and she also starts making little designs with his name and hearts.


But remember,  Daniel is going to hurt her and he's going to break her heart, right? So, when this happens, she's going to stop drawing hearts in her notes. But instead, she's going to write encouraging quotes, like this:

Somedays you just have to create
your own sunshine.



Not one of my best but I tried.













So, I decided to use her "doodles" and her "hearts" as something symbolic in the film. They're going to represent the journey of relationships and all of Marcella's transformation. And I think that the way I made the credits in the opening are a way to introduce and support this idea.

Finally, may I present to you my nice and super appealing movie title:



Since I didn't like the fonts that my editor was providing, a friend suggested to use DaFont and see if I like any of the fonts that they have. Then I borrowed her computer so I could use her editor to choose the colors that I'd like to use. The red in the "hearts" highlights its symbolism and reinstates the passion and romance genre of the movie.

So Where Have all the Hearts Gone? 

The truth is that they never left, they're still present in each individual. They are in every person that decides to love himself first, and then the others. Those persons that think that they're valuable and important. Those who are fighting for their dreams, those who are in the pursuit of Freedom, and those who perform an action to improve the quality of the world.



Chao, Chao!

Sources:

"Quotes About Sociology." (291 Quotes). N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2016. <http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/sociology>.
"The Sociology of Love." The Sociology of Love. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2016. <http://www.thesociologicalreview.com/blog/the-sociology-of-love.html>.
"DaFont - Download Fonts." DaFont - Download Fonts. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2016. <http://www.dafont.com/>.

Images:
  • "Hand Doodle Business Doodles." Dreamstime. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2016. <http://www.dreamstime.com/stock-images-hand-doodle-business-doodles-images-image33982694>.
  • "Valentine's Day Hearts and Love Sketchy Doodles Vector Set." Valentine's Day Hearts And Love Sketchy Doodles Vector Set · GL Stock Images. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Apr. 2016. <http://graphicleftovers.com/graphic/valentines-day-hearts-and-love-sketchy-doodles-vector-set/>.



No comments:

Post a Comment