Monday, April 4, 2016

Insert some nice and super appealing title

Yesterday I wrote that the only things remaining on my project were the title and the Critical Reflection. My deadline for the title is tomorrow, so then I can work on the Critical Reflection from Wednesday until Friday. 

Since I was struggling with coming up with the perfect title for my production, I decided to do a little research. 

According to this article called "Top Ten Tips for Titling Your Movie", one must consider these 10 tips when coming up with a good and appealing title:

1.    The shorter the better.
2.    The title should hint at the genre of the film. 
3.   The title is a sales tool designed to get people to read the script, rent the film or ask for more information. It is NOT an artistic statement (think more craft than art).
4.    More often than not, your title will be accompanied by a short pitch or key artwork. 
5.   You will NEVER be 100% happy with the title. It always feels like a bit of a compromise. And why shouldn’t it? You are reducing 100 pages of story to a single word of phrase.
6.   Once you decide on a title, if a better one comes along, use it. 
7.   Check the titles ‘Goolgeability’ with the Google keyword tool. How many people actively search for that word of phrase each month? These metrics are important.
8.   Don’t be clever. Titles are not something to be figured out. As filmmakers, we might like the idea of a title being a mystery or ephemeral, but audiences will just move right on by if they don’t ‘get it’ immediately.
9.   The title should infer the central conflict of the film.
10. Above all, ‘do what it says on the tin’. The title should honestly and succinctly reflect the story.

My film's genre is obviously Romance, so it should be related to love, feelings, and/or emotions.

I started thinking about titles that would involve the word "love" in them. But then a friend said to me: "Your movie is different, right? So why would you want a common title?" and I need to admit that she's right. BUT, I also need to think about my audience, which is Young Adults. Therefore, I need to have in mind tips 3 and 8. I'm trying to sell my movie to people by providing the opening and the title of the film, therefore, I'm trying to do a little of marketing here and to do perform it, I need to understand my audience behavior and preferences. So if we go back to tip 7, I went to Google trends and the word "love" has a high interest in the search.

Related searches

Interest over time


So I'm a little bit stuck with I should or I should not. But in any case, my options at this moment are:

•    A true love story: the movie is all about portraying love as it really is and not as conventional films want the audience to believe, Therefore, it's going to show that some people gets hurt and some people succeed in love. However, every person is a capable human being that doesn't need to spend all his life in the pursuit of love.
•    Accidentally in love: Marcella didn't want to fall in love, but because of coincidences, she meets this boy that is really nice and eventually he starts getting feelings for him. 

Nevertheless, I need to remark that I'm not delighted with these choices... I'd rather find some other title that wouldn't have the word "love" in them. Because that's the idea of this project, to create something unique  and different, and that's what I intended to do with the film. So, why should it be different now with the tile? I must come up with something that leaves my signature on it.

 However, that's as far as my creativity gets at 11 pm. 

I'm going to keep working on it tonight and tomorrow morning. Hopefully, I will have the design by tomorrow afternoon so I can start thinking about my reflection.

*creativity come to me in my sleep*


Chao, Chao!

Sources:
  • N.p., n.d. Web. 4 Apr. 2016. <http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2011/07/top-ten-tips-for-titling-your-movie.html>.
  • "Google Trends - Web Search Interest - Worldwide, 2004 - Present." Google Trends. N.p., n.d. Web. 04 Apr. 2016. <https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=love>.

No comments:

Post a Comment